I do think that the skin can become accustomed to products, and those very products begin to lose their effectiveness when used consistently over a long period of time... and whilst it's not wise to be constantly changing your skincare, there's no harm in trying out a few new things every now and then.
So as the clock struck midnight on the 31st December, I decided enough was enough... it was time to make some resolutions (of the beauty variety... along with a few personal ones too, but they're just for me to work on!). Here's what I've come up with:
I'm currently stuck in a bit of a rut, so I'd like to branch out and try some different looks - starting with a coral lip. I've just purchased this MAC Lipstick (the shade is called 'So Chaud' - get it here). As a medical student, I can't really don this during the working week, as it's not exactly student-doctor-on-the-wards appropriate, so I'll be saving this lippie for my free-time!
I'm pretty good with this already (for the record ladies, makeup wipes do not count as a cleansing routine!) and always make sure to cleanse with a foaming cleanser when I wake up, and again when I take off my 'face' at night. However, these sorts of cleansers can be a little harsh on the skin when used twice a day, so I've invested in the Emma Hardie Moringa Cleansing Balm (first mentioned here), which has turned cleansing into an absolute joy as opposed to a dreaded chore - a more thorough review of this wonderful product coming soon!
After a little research, I realised that, despite appearances, my oily/combination skin is actually rather dehydrated. Since then, I've really stepped up my moisturising - following cleansing, I now skip toner (the alcohol content is incredibly dehydrating) and prep my skin with a small amount of Hydraluron Moisture Booster, followed by Manuka Doctor moisturiser... and I've just bought Origins Drink Up Overnight Intensive Mask for a bi-weekly super-charged moisture surge!
4. Keep calm when in Boots.
I am the princess of impulse-buying, but become the queen of it the second I step into a drugstore. I routinely go in for toothpaste and shower-gel, yet somehow end up with a basket filled with mascaras, nail polishes, eyeshadows and body butters... but I'm always shocked when I get to the checkout and am told just how much my 'basic' shop has come to! I can promise you, a fair few of these impulse buys are things I don't want or need (above is a selection of cosmetics I've purchased and subsequently regretted over the years; you may spot a blue eyeshadow, which I bought when I was about 12... oh the horror). So this silliness stops here and now to save me scratching my head in confusion each time I get to the tills!
5. Continue eating sensibly.
I don't believe for a second that diet isn't linked to acne. My skin absolutely knows when I've overindulged my sweet tooth with a little too much Dairy Milk! I used to eat something sweet every single day - I have absolutely no willpower when it comes to sugar, and will continue to gobble it up unless it is forcibly removed from me (my mum did this with biscuit selection boxes throughout the Christmas period... *hangs head in shame*), which has meant I've gone somewhat cold-turkey with the sweet stuff, only having it once or twice a week (Christmas being an exception to the rule!).
I do eat incredibly healthily 90% of the time (lots of oily fish, fruits, vegetables, nuts, wholegrains and a heck of a lot of water), and I'd like it to continue that way. However, the remaining 10% of the time, I'll be indulging in a few sweet treats - life's too short to not eat cake!
Have you made any beauty resolutions this year? Leave a comment with yours below if you'd like to share :-)